Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    I know that often on here that a lot of people attack Gate City. Well for most of their time back in the LPD, they have been the front dog. Not just in football, but it seems in most sports. Many of the Gate City faithful have on more than one opinion sent private messages, not just to me, but to others and said that hey they were realistic, they had a great run of athletes here for a couple years, boys and girls, but they knew that they would come back to the pack (so to speak) in a lot of sports. It wasn't that they would stink or anything but that there would be a few bad or lean years mixed in.

    At the beginning of the year, or at least early in the year, many of the regulars said that they were down, this was one of the worst GC teams that they had seen in awhile, etc. I don't think many of us believed them. I did believe they were down, but honestly didn't think that it would be as far down as they thought. I give them credit for being pretty honest (although I still dont think that they were that bad, it was a snowball affect, and some bad injuries, losses, all compunded and made things seem worse or end up worse than it would have under other circumstances). The thing is we have all been there, just the last several years, it seemed that when something bad happened, Gate City was able to plug in someone just as good or better. This year, they didn't have the 3 levels of Hell for lack of a better word [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    One thing that I will say, for the most part, the Gate City football players and coaching staff has always been pretty classy. A few things here and there might have set off people off or wronged people, but honestly they conducted themselves for the most part to a pretty high level and respresented the district well.

    I'm sure that next year, in the new district, that Gate City will rise again and be one of the top teams. I wish them well, and hope that their fans, especially the fairweather ones learned something from this year. To the true fans who show up every week, no matter good or bad. i commend you. Its hard to go out and see a down year, but you deserve the right to be proud when they do right the ship.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    When GC was in the LPD they did 1 thing. And that was make everyone else better. You only get better by playing better teams, the Gate City's and Powell Valley's of the world. I wish the best of luck to the GC athletic program in the new district.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member LPDBlueDevils's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    629
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    very classy Rocketer! I was one of the people who did not like the move to the LPD, I really didn't know that much about the LPD except for Appy and PV and since I have joined this message board I have a greater respect for all LPD schools. I have really enjoyed hearing about the histories of each school and the tradition that the LPD has had and will continue to have. Good luck in the future to all the LPD schools!
    To GC: Remember who you are, Where you come from, and What you stand for! Don't hang your heads and remember championships are earned not given!

  4. #4
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    I fully disagree with everything Rock said.

  5. #5
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    A lot of you younger posters and fans. Well you got a little look over the last few years of some of the old LPD.

    What many don't realize was that last night. Many seen what will eventually be the decline and probably end at some point of the LPD.

    To GC and Coeburn fans, players and posters. Thanks to all of you guys for all of the memories. As you move on to other districts i wish you all the best.

    It's been good seeing the LPD back to the way it was years ago.
    But change is coming and this is just the start.

    Good luck in the future to GC and Coeburn as they begin their change into new districts.

  6. #6
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    I got my first taste of Gate City in 1986. I have been to basketball games where a kid was bashed because people do not like his dad, I have been to baseball games where I had to go to another state to watch it, and I have been disrespected so many times at football games that I try to even forget most of them.
    Its been that way for 20 years and I dont forsee it changing.

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    What are you talking about. My post was a post in general to GC and Coeburn. And them leaving the LPD to other districts and wishing them both well.
    I have no idea what your even talking about.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    I agree w/Rock. GC was the class of the LPD in football while they were here, pushed each team to take their game to a new level when I personally felt some football programs around here were resting on their laurels of yesteryear. GC represented a whole new challenge to the entire league in every facet of the game. 4-6 in the final season in the LPD is unfortunate for them, but it's more of a testament to how far GC's competition helped other programs get better and better, as opposed to how low GC's talent level has dropped recently. I will remember GC not as a 4-6 squad, but as a talented and dynamic football powerhouse from the time they came into the LPD until the time they left. You gotta take the whole picture into account when making a statement about what GC's football legacy in the LPD is. They have nothing at all to be ashamed of, and I respect their accomplishments of the past.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member blitzer44's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2006
    Posts
    101
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    I've heard a lot of negative comments (from GC fans) about the kids and the coaches. Just a thought, these kids and the coaches probably worked harder and longer than in the years when they had more talent. Coach Colobro is a class act, never makes excuses, always fields competitive teams and also helped young coaches get started in their programs. Fans get spoiled by sucess and when things go down they start complaininmg and placing blame. This is the same coaching staff that has won regularly over the years and I don't think they forgot how to coach all at once! The GC players gave all they had to give and deserve better from those negative fans. Buying a ticket gives you the right to watch the game, but it doesn't give anyone the right to unfairly critize the kids or the coaches. Remember it's a game played by young boys, coached by men who are not justin it for the money, GC will be back and so will those fickle fans (unfortunately)
    HE DIED AS HE LIVED, PROUD AND UNAFRAID.
    PROTECT OUR AMERICA!











  10. #10
    Inactive Member 1930's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2004
    Posts
    28
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Brace yourself--a positive post about Gate City

    I fully agree with you. My son played basketball against GC and my daughter played volleyball and basketball against them They both looked forward to and dseaded playing them. My daughter(Tammy) always played her best against them.Their coaches always came to her and told her good game as well as the players. It was mutual respect. I always enjoyed watching them play. There have been some good games between Clintwood and Gate City and although we hate to admit it we were more often than not on the losing side. But there were so many times that almost beating them let us know just how good we were or weren't. So good luck to Gate City and also to Coeburn Some fine folks there in Coeburn too.
    Bleed Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •